Father John Francis Vanston, C.P., St. Paul of the Cross Province (1875-1943)
[May 16, 1943 ]
Born Vincent Vanston in South Bethlehem, Pennsylvania on February 15, 1875, he was the son of Samuel and Brigid Stafford Vanston. After several years he family moved to Scranton, Pennsylvania and he went to St. Patrick School, West Scranton. At fourteen he entered the Passionist Preparatory Seminary at St. Mary's, Dunkirk, New York. He professed his vows on February 20, 1891. His religious name was John Francis. He studied at Baltimore, Maryland; Louisville, Kentucky and West Hoboken, New Jersey. He was ordained on June 4, 1898 by Bishop Wiggin of the Newark, New Jersey diocese. He was a preacher of parish missions and renewals. From 1901 to 1903 he was pastor of a church in Banner City, Kansas and then helped develop the church at Chetopa, Kansas. He was also pastor at Mineral, Kansas from 1904 until 1905 where he built a church, rectory, and school. In 1908 he was appointed vice rector of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and was elected rector of West Hoboken in 1923. In 1926 he was elected rector of Baltimore. He died at Bon Secour Hospital, Baltimore.